7/10/2004

A man walked up a hill until he met a tree.
He smiled at the great Elm and asked, "How do you do?"
At this, the leafy king swayed in the wind, its leaves purring to the air.
Before long, the man fell asleep, his head resting gently upon a cool root.
When the man awoke, he found that he had aged significantly.
His hands were wrinkled, and his beard three feet long!
Indeed, he had a good night's sleep!

When the man arrived to town, he was flabbergasted.
As he looked around, he noticed that the townspeople had not aged a day.
All who were around him looked exactly as they did when he departed.
His friends were young and robust, while he was running from time.
"I am old," he said. "And my young heart cannot survive."
With that, the man quietly exited the town once more.
As he headed back up the hill to see his old friend, he thought to himself:

"My curiosity does not lie with the unknown happenings of my current crisis--
Rather, I wonder why time may beat my body though my heart remain steadfast."
With that, the man kindly greeted his old green friend and gently laid his hand upon the stalk.
Soon, he was asleep. This time forever,
And in his dreams his wild heart reigned freely.
His youthful glee shining endlessly throughout the ages.

No comments: