5/30/2007

veg on this!

i never noticed before how much of a meat driven society in which we live. chicken with this, beef with that, pork, liver, steak, lamb and the list goes on and on. as if there were not enough meat from which to choose. personally, i do not have a problem with anyone who eats meat, or even the act of carnivorous consumption; rather, it is the idea that i am different because i choose to abstain from eating of the flesh. it has been so long now that i cannot imagine how to stomach even the smallest portion of meat. i am so turned off by the idea alone.

so feeling like an outsider is not my cup of tea (only masochists enjoy such pleasures). did our world really decide in the infamous garden to throw in the towel and give up on greens? why must we all follow the "standard" so blindly? people tell me that they cannot live without meat, yet they ridicule the obese man nearby who believes he cannot live without sweets. my friends-turned-health-experts tell me that i cannot get the nutrients that my body needs solely from the ground. "you can't get protein," they tell me as my biceps are three times larger than theirs. "where do you get your calcium?" -a somewhat more valid point because cows produce calcium right?- wrong! cows get it from the same place that i do, from the ground.

the carnivorous bunch, as it were, cannot argue against my health, however, due to the fact that i am generally very healthy and in most cases healthier than they. additionally, i cannot lie about the fact that i have virtually no body fat and my heart is in the best shape it has ever been. i complete a cardiovascular exercise once daily and i am never chronically tired. now if only i drank nil alcohol and more water. perhaps i might have trained for the olympics! the point is that i can do virtually anything i want to do physically because of nurturing my body the way that i have.

above all people must understand that i do what i do because i want to do it. i am not sensitive to animals rights, although i think we should be good stewards of what is given us. however, are we being the best stewards using the cows for food? or would we not benefit more from sacrificing them for energy purposes? i must also address a certain notion here. for those of you who think you do not eat that much meat, let me ask you to inquire about all of the sauces you get with your food when dining out. also, be sure to ask what your food is cooked in. i know of several nicer restaurants that actually dunk their veggies in chicken broth before placing them in a stir fry sauce made primarily from beef, chicken or shrimp stock.

translation=meat in america is first ingredient to most foods.

that being said, there is more truth to theories about too much meat causing greater risks of colon cancers than there is to the myths of global warming. red meats make brown dark spots in the colon, and those brown dark spots are prone to cancer. never has a study concluded that any green vegetable caused any defect that could lead to a life threatening disease. so simply based upon the "gamble" mentality, one could assume that the safer option would be to exclude meat altogether from the diet, as it presents risks whereas the greens do not.

i do not preach my beliefs on this matter to anyone. i do however voice my frustration when it is not enough for me to simply keep my mouth shut; i must also change my ways because they themselves are offensive! poppycock i tell you, and i will not change my ways. what kind of a crazy world we live in where someone is more interested in my diet than my belief in christ? i tell you i am not.

ok, there is my veggie rant for the spring/summer. perhaps i'll drink blood by next fall, but it is unlikely...

2 comments:

Clint said...

I don't know why anyone would make you feel outcast... ignorance! It honestly just isn't a big deal. Every eater has food preferences, whether the reasons for those preferences are health, taste, texture, lifestyle, whatever. I am not a health expert, but even I know a healthy diet can be obtained without eating meat. If you want to see that, although generally speaking most vegan friends of mine tend to be more intellectual and obviously more disciplined, there are exceptions and stupid vegans exist, check out - http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2007-05-10/news/diet-from-hell/
pretty crazy, these people would be bad parents-vegan or not.

Anonymous said...

"perhaps i'll drink blood by next fall, but it is unlikely..."

Ha. You're silly.